11/15/2006

I Don't Want to Be an Idiot

What kind of old person do you want to be when you grow up?

When I was a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child - I was a child! But, now that I am a man, I have put childish things behind me - at least I am trying. No longer do I wonder what I am going to do when I grow up, now I wonder who I will be when I grow up - will I wander? I spend a lot more time thinking and pondering my character than I do my productiveness. Productivity is important, so people tell me, but I have seen too many productive people be idiots when it comes to who they are on the inside.

I don't want to be an idiot when I grow up.

I want to be a man of character to whom people look for wisdom and insight - not professionally but personally. I used to want success and professional respect. I now want my depth of character to be known by those who know me best. As far as my professional career, big whoopdedoo! My kids won't really care how big my church was - they don't even care now. My wife could care less about how good of a preacher I was or am or will be. My friends want to know that I am the same on the inside as I am on the outside.

So, I resolve to be like Christ - that way I won't be an idiot when I grow up.

The only way I know to make sure this happens is to spend most of my time working on the stuff nobody sees. You know - those deepest, darkest places of a man's soul. Better yet, I will let those around me see those places and let God use them to work on me. I won't try and make myself more holy or pure, I will give myself over to God and let Him do it - that way I can't boast when I am old. All I will be able to say is - I just tried not to be an idiot and let God do His thing.

My Mission (and I choose to accept it): Go be a good slave - and don't be an idiot!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Good thoughts, Kurt, thank you. I don't want to be an idiot, either. I suppose the "trick" is to confess openly that there remains as a part of my old self, a broken desire to do my "own" thing, in other words, be an idiot.

The reminder is a good one, a community to share in better, and commitment to Jesus the best.

Anonymous said...

So, if I am already and idiot, do you offer a 12 step program to help me overcome my addiction to being an idiot?