10/18/2006

Judge Not?

Can you imagine what would happen if Christians stopped judging?

You might immediately assume that things would get better. But, would they?

I for one appreciate the person who looks at me and says, "What were you thinking? Or, were you?" I appreciate the coach who refuses to patronize me and is willing to tell me that what I did was flat out stupid. This is one reason I love my wife. She is willing to tell me the truth about myself and tell me when I am being an idiot.

That said, if Christians stopped being judgemental, that would be a much better place to hang my hat - if I ever actually wore a hat.

Jesus never said, "Do not judge." (please note the period) However, Jesus did say, "Do not judge or by the same measure you will be judged."

We have to be willing to judge between what is right and what is wrong - especially when it relates to raising children. However, let us quickly admit that we must be willing to be held to the same standard. Will you let your child tell you that you sinned?

The problem is that too many "Christians" refuse to be held to the same standard by which they are judging the world. (The standard is the Bible.)

If we are going to call someone an idiot, we had better make sure that they know that we love them first! Let us follow the example of Christ, who being in very nature God did not consider equality with God something to be grasped but made Himself nothing - taking on the very nature of a servant.

Now, what if "Christians" began to serve the "sinners" of this world? Would they have the platform to then say, "That is wrong?" I think we would, but we might end up hanging on a cross next to Jesus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If we actually began to seek out and serve the other "sinners" of the world, I believe that they would be transformed.

At the point in the story when Jesus siad, "Go and sin no more," he was not suggesting something just to get them to do the right thing for the sake of "doing righteousness", he was saying "follow me."

We probably doubt that whole transformation thing because we doubt that Jesus is really that good. So, we settle for how good we can understand him to be through pedestrian ideas like "being good" and the even more sinister "sin management." It is so much easier, and we get to be in control. Perhaps, that is why the hierarchy of sin is so appealing to us.

The hierarchy of sin (and therefore the hierarchy of sinners), casts degrees of doubt for us on who might be transformed. But, Jesus doesn't doubt. He knows; he sees.