10/16/2006

What If?

I don’t think we spend enough time thinking about the “what if.”

What if we pursued God with abandon? What if I loved my wife the way Christ loves the Church? What if I did a load of laundry? What if I worked as though I were actually doing my job for the Lord instead of my boss?

The negative is true as well.

What if I were to disobey the command to honor my father and mother? What if I were to not treat my neighbor as myself? What if I were to cheat just a little at work?

I wonder, do we think anymore, or do we just go through the motions?

What if we were to recapture that sense of wonder that a child has about life? What if were to ponder the consequences to our actions? Children know that they have their whole life ahead of them and know the power of the “what if.” Much to our dismay sometimes, our children want to know “What if . . .” But, we cannot stifle the power of the “what if” in our children or we kill their dreams and worse yet, their sense of wonder about God’s creation. Beyond that, we reduce them to live in the doldrums of life without thinking. Without asking the “What if” a child is doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past and becomes a pawn of their peers.

There is great power in the “What if.” What if we were to live in the “What if?”

Some people think about the “What if” but it makes no difference in their life. They know the potential to making the right decision but they are debilitated by their lack of courage and their fear. The power of the “What if” is only useful for those who actually act upon the “What if.”

What if we were a church that was composed of individuals and families who were submissive to Christ and His desires instead of our own?

No comments: