3/23/2012

God, Comfort and Self

I went on a hike yesterday - or a walk, depending upon who you talk to. During the hike with a good friend, we began to discuss how many people don't like themselves. Many people are unwilling to spend a few hours by themselves, or alone with their thoughts. Some are just uncomfortable being alone.

I am an extrovert - I gain energy from being around people. It drains me to be by myself for extended periods of time. But, over the past few years, I have learned the value of solitude. I have learned how to hear God in the silence. In so doing, I have figured out that I am not an appalling person to hang out with.

Is there any spiritual significance to this?

Is one's willingness and comfort with themselves directly proportional to one's comfort with God? If so, should we be comfortable with God?

If we are so comfortable with God, do we really understand His holiness, grandeur, awesomeness (awefulness), and majesty? If we are uncomfortable being alone, do we grasp the love, grace, wonder, and beauty of God as a loving God who calls us His friend?

This is not intended to be a well-thought post - but rather a dialogue with myself that I thought might stimulate some thought in others as well.

No comments: