3/16/2012

Why Write?

I was telling a friend of mine that I had a book in me that wanted to come out. He asked me some very pointed questions that caused me to think.
"Have you started writing?"
"If you have something to say, why are you waiting for a publisher?"
"Why not start with a blog?"
I used to blog, but it didn't seem like anyone was listening...but is that why I write? Do we write to have someone listen, or do we write because we have something to say?
I had another friend comment that the people in a congregation of a church want to hear from their pastor during the week. But, is that a reason to write? Is that why the authors of the Bible wrote? Why did they write? What was the compelling force that coerced them into writing? Did they know that it would be the most read document of all time? Is that why they wrote?
I would suggest that when one feels they have something to say, whether anyone will listen or not, they should write. Especially, if the message they feel their message is from God. I am not suggesting that God is giving any new revelation to mankind, but I am suggesting that God continues to reveal Himself through mankind. We need to be willing to be His voice in a world crying for wisdom, insight, understanding and compassion.
So why do I write?
I write to say that which God has laid upon my heart and mind. I believe I have the Mind of Christ empowered by the Holy Spirit. I believe that the Bible is the authoritative Word of God. I believe God still speaks through His people. I believe that the people of God must boldly proclaim the Message of Hope - the very person of Jesus Christ. I write, not because I expect anyone to read, listen or pay attention. I write because I have something to say.

No comments: